Widgets digital signatures, off-list discussion about requirements and algorithms.

Archiving, with permission of all those involved, and with apologies
for having let this turn into a technical discussion off-list.

Mark's message (the topmost one) includes a number of interesting
design points, that should be further pursued.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Priestley, Mark, VF-Group" <Mark.Priestley@vodafone.com>
> Date: 26 September 2008 15:12:28 CEDT
> To: "Thomas Roessler" <tlr@w3.org>, "Arthur Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com
> >
> Cc: "ext Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, "Frederick
> Hirsch" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "Arve Bersvendsen" <arveb@opera.com
> >
> Subject: RE: DRAFT: Seeking feedback regarding Widgets Digital
> Signatures spec
>
> Apologies for joining the discussion late.
>
> I'm in agreement with what has been communicated so far. My opinion
> would be that support for SHA-256 for Widgets 1.0 would represent the
> good choice called for by Thomas.
>
> In terms of a good idea of how to change from one algorithm to another
> at a later point in time, IMHO this is not an easy problem to solve.
> The
> main problem is supporting legacy devices. This will inevitably mean
> that you need to sign all content using both algorithms for the
> migration period, which may be quite some while and will be a real
> pain.
> During this time you'll also need to be able to tell which algorithms
> the consuming device supports and send it the right content. Being
> able
> to update the widget engine OTA will help but can't be relied on. (I'm
> sure this is all common knowledge but I thought it was worth repeating
> as it's something that will impact Operators particularly acutely)
>
> My feeling therefore tends to be that it is prudent to mandate support
> more than one algorithm as early as possible (although actually in our
> case I'm starting to think that mandating support for SHA-1 is of
> little
> value if we are also planning to mandate support of SHA-256) but I'm
> aware that this is not always an attractive proposal from an
> implementer
> or testers perspective.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
> Date: 25 September 2008 19:43:59 CEDT
> To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
> Cc: ext Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, "Frederick
> Hirsch" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "Mark Priestley" <Mark.Priestley@vodafone.com
> >, "Arve Bersvendsen" <arveb@opera.com>
> Subject: Re: DRAFT: Seeking feedback regarding Widgets Digital
> Signatures spec
>
> I'm not sure that the requirement I gave is one that would lead to
> changes to the widget requirements spec -- it's more a general
> design principle about using cryptographic algorithms.
>
> The fundamental point is that you need some useful migration story
> from one hash algorithm to another one.  XML Signature has that,
> since it identifies all algorithms by URI.  So, unless you do
> something on your own and just say in the spec "this is the sha-foo
> hash of the following data" without identifying the algorithm in the
> document, you should be fine.
>
> The second point is, again, just the way in which you usually get
> interoperability in a space where you have choices:  Make some good
> choices (maybe just *one* choice) for the purposes of a specific
> spec, and be sure you have an idea how to change that later on.
>
> Hope this clarifies matters,
> --
> Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>
>

> On 25 Sep 2008, at 19:33, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>
>> Good question. Let's see what the domain experts say.
>>
>> My take is:
>>
>> * The first sentence in the current text will need to be updated to
>> reflect req #1 from Thomas.
>>
>> * Regarding Thomas' req #2, perhaps that doesn't need to be an
>> explicit requirement but something we need to address in the spec.
>> It feels too much like a statement about the usage/deployment of
>> XML Signature rather than a high-level req.
>>
>> -AB

>>> Does that means that R43. Support for Multiple Message Digest
>>> Algorithms needs to be changed? it currently reads:
>>>
>>> "A conforming specification MUST recommend that where the
>>> integrity of
>>> data is protected using a message digest, it MUST be possible to use
>>> the SHA-1 message digest algorithm or the SHA-256 message digest
>>> algorithm. Due to known weaknesses in the SHA-1 algorithm and the
>>> expected lifetime of implementations, a conforming specification
>>> MUST
>>> strongly recommend the use of SHA-256 to ensure that the overall
>>> security of the solution is maintained."
>>>

>>> --
>>> Marcos Caceres
>>> http://datadriven.com.au

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
> Date: 25 September 2008 19:33:17 CEDT
> To: ext Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
> Cc: "Thomas Roessler" <tlr@w3.org>, "Frederick Hirsch" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com
> >, "Mark Priestley" <Mark.Priestley@vodafone.com>, "Arve
> Bersvendsen" <arveb@opera.com>
> Subject: Re: DRAFT: Seeking feedback regarding Widgets Digital
> Signatures spec
>
> Good question. Let's see what the domain experts say.
>
> My take is:
>
> * The first sentence in the current text will need to be updated to
> reflect req #1 from Thomas.
>
> * Regarding Thomas' req #2, perhaps that doesn't need to be an
> explicit requirement but something we need to address in the spec.
> It feels too much like a statement about the usage/deployment of XML
> Signature rather than a high-level req.
>
> -AB
>
> On Sep 25, 2008, at 10:49 AM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org> wrote:
>>> totally, yes.
>>>
>>> So there are really two requirements here:
>>>
>>> 1. Do not use sha-256 implicitly, anywhere, so you can change
>>> later on.
>>> 2. Pick a decent set of algorithms.
>>>

>> Does that means that R43. Support for Multiple Message Digest
>> Algorithms needs to be changed? it currently reads:
>>
>> "A conforming specification MUST recommend that where the integrity
>> of
>> data is protected using a message digest, it MUST be possible to use
>> the SHA-1 message digest algorithm or the SHA-256 message digest
>> algorithm. Due to known weaknesses in the SHA-1 algorithm and the
>> expected lifetime of implementations, a conforming specification MUST
>> strongly recommend the use of SHA-256 to ensure that the overall
>> security of the solution is maintained."
>>

>> --
>> Marcos Caceres
>> http://datadriven.com.au

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
> Date: 25 September 2008 16:49:30 CEDT
> To: "Thomas Roessler" <tlr@w3.org>
> Cc: "Frederick Hirsch" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>,  "Arthur
> Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com>,  "Mark Priestley" <Mark.Priestley@vodafone.com
> >,  "Arve Bersvendsen" <arveb@opera.com>
> Subject: Re: DRAFT: Seeking feedback regarding Widgets Digital
> Signatures spec
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org> wrote:
>> totally, yes.
>>
>> So there are really two requirements here:
>>
>> 1. Do not use sha-256 implicitly, anywhere, so you can change later
>> on.
>> 2. Pick a decent set of algorithms.
>>

> Does that means that R43. Support for Multiple Message Digest
> Algorithms needs to be changed? it currently reads:
>
> "A conforming specification MUST recommend that where the integrity of
> data is protected using a message digest, it MUST be possible to use
> the SHA-1 message digest algorithm or the SHA-256 message digest
> algorithm. Due to known weaknesses in the SHA-1 algorithm and the
> expected lifetime of implementations, a conforming specification MUST
> strongly recommend the use of SHA-256 to ensure that the overall
> security of the solution is maintained."
>

> --
> Marcos Caceres
> http://datadriven.com.au

Begin forwarded message: