Re: [ProgressEvents]

Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com> wrote:
>>> Hello webapps wg,
>>>
>>> On behalf of the SVG WG I'd like to propose adding to the
>>> ProgressEvents spec[1] an event equivalent to the 'loadend'
>>> (previously known as 'SVGPostLoad') event currently defined in SVG
>>> Tiny 1.2 [2].
>>>
>>> The 'loadend' event is dispatched by completion of a load, no matter
>>> if it was successful or not. In terms of the ProgressEvents spec the
>>> 'loadend' event would be dispatched following either of 'abort',
>>> 'load' or 'error', and there must be exactly one 'loadend' event
>>> dispatched. In the Event definitions table it would look like this:
>>>
>>> Name: loadend
>>> How often?: once
>>> When?: Must be dispatched last
>>>

>> If the event were dispatched last, and there was a progress bar, plus
>> an overlay, then the success handler would fire before the progress
>> bar + overlay were hidden/removed.
>>
>> Please see also:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/0537.html
>
> I would be in support of adding such an event. And I agree with Garrett
> that it makes more sense to dispatch it before the load/abort/error
> event is dispatched. In fact, we could even make the default behavior of
> the loadend event be dispatching one of the above three, thus allowing
> them to be canceled by calling .preventDefault on the loadend event.
>
> Would be interested to hear Ollis feedback given that he recently
> implemented progress events for XHR in firefox.
>
> / Jonas

Sounds good to me, though I don't have strong opinion whether
load/abort/error should be the default behavior for loadend. Maybe it is
better to not to add any default behaviors to PE.

The new event should be added to XHR2 too.
One thing to be clarified is that what should happen if loadend handler
restarts XHR - should load/abort/error still fire?

-Olli