Re: [XMLHttpRequest2] comments

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:36:58 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> For when I next edit this draft (hopefully soon):
>
>  * Origin header shouldn't point to the origin definition.
>
>  * Exception codes need to be changed. (See XMLHTttpRequest Level 1.)
>
>  * Upload notifications should work non same origin as well.
>
>  * Download notifications should work non same origin as well most
> likely, even readyState == 2 can work now the processing instruction is
> gone as far as I can tell.

There are two further features I'd like to see added to XHR, hopefully
in the XHR2 timeframe:

1. A timeout property like the one on microsofts XDR. I haven't looked
    into the specifics of XDRs property, but I would think that an
    'abort' event should fire as well as readystate transitioning to
    something if the timeout is reached.

2. A .responseJSON property. This would return the same thing as the
    following code:

    if (xhr.readyState != 4) {
      return null;
    }
    return JSON.parse(xhr.responseText);

    However there are a few details that can be quibbled about:
    a) Should a partial result be returned during readystate 3
    b) If the property is gotten multiple times, should that return the
       same or a new object every time.

/ Jonas