Re: XDomainRequest Integration with AC

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:38:35 +0200
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Sunava Dutta" <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Sharath Udupa" <Sharath.Udupa@microsoft.com>, "Zhenbin Xu" <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>, "Gideon Cohn" <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team" <ieajax@microsoft.com>

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 20:44:04 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> The big worry I have though is if there is any possibility to puny
> encode the same origin in multiple ways (other than with or without
> default port). This could lead to different UAs encoding the same origin
> in different ways, which could lead to interoperability issues if sites
> rather than echoing the 'Origin' header always send out a static value
> for the Access-Control-Allow-Origin header.

Is that possible? I don't think it is. Domain names follow a strict set of
normalization rules. (That would also mean the Origin header could contain
different values depending on the implementation, which is not the case.)

> In general, I don't think it's a lot of work to require a strict
> same-origin check. All browsers should have such an algorithm
> implemented anyway.

True, but if we can make things simpler that seems better.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>