W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > July to September 2008

[widgets] Minutes from 21 August 2008 Voice Conference

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:00:47 -0400
Message-Id: <90686266-1CA9-43B7-9D4E-0A14CD072052@nokia.com>
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

The minutes from the August 21 Widgets voice conference are available  
at the following and copied below:

  <http://www.w3.org/2008/08/21-wam-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send  
them to the public-webapps mail list before August 28; otherwise  
these minutes will be considered approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow


    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                        Widgets Voice Conference

21 Aug 2008

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008JulSep/0445.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/08/21-wam-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art, Arve, Marcos, Mike, Claudio

    Regrets
           Nick, David, Benoit, Thomas

    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Turin Logistics
          2. [6]Agenda Review
          3. [7]Turing Agenda
          4. [8]Comments from Krzy
          5. [9]Benoit's comments
          6. [10]AOB
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________


    Date: 21 August 2008

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

    <marcos> Eataly! :D

Turin Logistics

    CV: taxis from airport to hotel cost about 30-40 euros depending on
    the hotel
    ... expect mild weather
    ... Regarding dress code, short pants are OK for the meeting
    ... Be careful to only use official taxis, typically white or yellow
    ... Trains from Milan to Turin are pretty easy to take

    <arve> marcos: you're difficult to hear

    <marcos> Arve, will try to sit closer to the mic

    CV: to walk from Art hotel to meeting location should take about 30
    mins

    AB: who is staying at the Art hotel?

    <arve> I am

    <marcos> I am too

    AB: Marcos, Arve, me too; we can take a taxi to the meeting ~ 9:30
    on Tues morn?

Agenda Review

    AB: agenda
    [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/04
    45.html
    ... any change requests?

      [12] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008JulSep/0445.html

    MC: Krzy sent some comments right before the meeting
    ... we can talk about his new comments

Turing Agenda

    AB: I updated it a bit last week
    ... any general comments?

    CV: can Telecom Italia send some observers to parts of the meeting?

    AB: yes, that's fine
    ... I've asked Thomas Landsburg to do a short preso on Webwag mobile

Comments from Krzy

    <marcos> MC: new comments
    [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/04
    49.html

      [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008JulSep/0449.html

    AB: any comments about Marcos original response to Krzy?

    [None]

    AB: Marcos, please summarize Krzy's latest comments

    MC: a few of his comments are quite complicated
    ... e.g. IRI versus URI usage is a bit conflated and I need to fix
    that in both the Reqs doc and at least the P&C spec
    ... He recommends we de-emphasize "web widgets" aka gadgets
    ... I think we just need to make a distinction

    AB: I agree we need a clear distinction

    CV: during WWW2008 Art made a presentation about Widgets
    ... I think that definition removed "web widgets" from our
    definition of Widgets
    ... They are indeed two different things

    Arve: we could call this a Widget runtime spec

    MC: yes, that would be more specific

    <marcos> Widget Runtime 1.0?

    AB: people have used the term "WAF Widgets"
    ... that would now be "WebApps Widgets"

    <claudio> Art said: a specification covering various aspects of Web
    applications that can be installed to a local computer and still
    access the Web

    MC: I like the idea of adding "runtime"

    AB: we would need a good definition of runtime
    ... it could also includes some implementation context

    Arve: I think in one paragraph of text we can clarify this

    MC: we have a lot of text already
    ... I think the problem is the Name
    ... my fear is the name becomes a gate and people don't enter/read
    based on the name

    <scribe> ACTION: marcos propose a new name for the Widget spec that
    helps separate our model from the "web widget" model aka gadets
    [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2008/08/21-wam-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-24 - Propose a new name for the Widget
    spec that helps separate our model from the \"web widget\" model aka
    gadets [on Marcos Caceres - due 2008-08-28].

    MC: MIME is raised as an alternative way to package the Widgets
    ... I think we need to consider this but perhaps not until v2

    AB: I want to continue to use ZIP

    MC: agree that based on what has been implemented, ZIP makes senese
    ... However, using MIME could help address some issues

    Arve: I want to stay with ZIP; MIME has not been considered by Opera
    ... I would expect MIME to introduce a new set of problems

    CV: I don't have any comments; I can live with ZIP
    ... I would need to see some compelling use cases to consider an
    alternative packaging format

    MS: I agree with Claudio's comments re use cases
    ... Without some additional motiviation I'm OK with ZIP

    AB: Propose: we stay with ZIP as the packaging format; we will
    analyze MIME for v2
    ... any objections to this proposal?

    [None]

    RESOLUTION: we will stay with ZIP as the packaging format for v1; we
    will analyze MIME for v2

    AB: any other comments we should discuss now?

    MC: I recommend everyone read his comments
    ... I will respond in due time
    ... Others should respond too
    ... I am very thankful to Krzysztof for his comments
    ... they were very useful!

    CV: regarding life cycle and events, can you summarize his comments,
    especially if he is proposing something different then our model?

    MC: I think his model is similar to ours but he wants to add a small
    addition
    ... He isn't proposing any changes to what I've put in the spec
    ... Just an addition

    AB: so everyone, please read Krzy's comments and respond on
    public-webapps

Benoit's comments

    AB: what is the status Marcos?

    MC: I've responded to all of Benoit's comments

    AB: OK; great

    MC: I just need him to confirm my responses; most of his comments
    were Editorial

AOB

    AB: please remember to bring your passport to the meeting!
    ... what are your plans for remote participation?

    MS: I should be available for most of the meeting

    AB: Meeting adjourned; see you in Turin on Tuesday!

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: marcos propose a new name for the Widget spec that
    helps separate our model from the "web widget" model aka gadets
    [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/08/21-wam-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 21 August 2008 12:02:09 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:49:27 GMT