Re: File Upload Status ?

On Aug 11, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Sam Weinig <weinig@apple.com> wrote:
>> Just a few weeks ago
>> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/0186.html
>> ) I
>> proposed a stripped down version of the File Upload spec (thinking it
>> defunct) that matched Mozilla's implementation sans the data
>> accessors.
>> One reason for not including the data accessors was that we don't
>> think
>> synchronous access to the disk is a good idea and browser.
>>

> Sam,
>
> I got that you don't think it's a good idea, but not why. Also, I
> don't understand the 'browser' at the end. Can you explain this?
>
> Please quote what you are replying to so to make it clear as to
> exactly what you're replying. IM lost.

Sorry, the "and browser" at the end was a typo.  I meant to say, "in
the browser".  The reason synchronous access to the disk is a bad idea
is that if the operation takes too long, a big file, a slow network
home directory, or for whatever other reason, the browser hangs.  It
is the same reason synchronous network access can be construed as a
bad idea.

I was replying to your request for implementors to give you feedback.
I am in favor of spec moving forward, but it needs an editor.

-Sam