W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > July to September 2008

[widgets] Minutes from 31 July 2008 Voice Conference

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:12:04 -0400
Message-Id: <45167E28-4FA5-4FBA-9F45-65204337B9BE@nokia.com>
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

The minutes from the July 31 Widgets voice conference are available  
at the following and copied below:

  <http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-wam-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send  
them to the public-webapps mail list before August 7 (next voice  
conference); otherwise these minutes will be considered approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                        Widgets Voice Conference

31 Jul 2008

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008JulSep/0289.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-wam-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art, Arve, Benoit, Marcos, David, Claudio, Luca, Nick, Mark,
           Bryan

    Regrets
    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review Agenda
          2. [6]Annoucements
          3. [7]OMTP Intro
          4. [8]Widget Requirments Last Call
          5. [9]Widget State Change Events
          6. [10]R15 and R16
          7. [11]Turing f2f Attendance
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________


    Date: 31 July 2008

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

Review Agenda

    <scribe> Agenda:
    [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/02
    89.html

      [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008JulSep/0289.html

    AB: any changes?

    [None]

Annoucements

    AB: new people include Bryan from AT&T and Nick and David from OMTP
    ... What is your interest Bryan in this WG?

    BS: I'm active in MWBP and DD WGs
    ... the WebApps' Widgets specs are of interest to me in the mobile
    context

    AB: reminder that the Turnin f2f is Aug 26-28
    ... any other announcements?

    Benoit: our widget implementation work is progressing well and we
    hope to be more active in this WG

OMTP Intro

    NA: I am OMTP CTO

    DR: I am involved in external relationships; also have a mobile
    security background

    NA: OMTP is an industry forum; 4 years old now
    ... it's all about mobile applications and services
    ... we have 8 operators participating

    <marcos_> [14]http://www.omtp.org/Membership.aspx

      [14] http://www.omtp.org/Membership.aspx

    NA: we have mainly produced requirements aka "recommendations"
    ... areas of focus are: application security e.g. signing
    ... also some reqs for browser functionality

    <marcos_> [15]http://www.omtp.org/Publications.aspx

      [15] http://www.omtp.org/Publications.aspx

    NA: BONDI is the result of a study we did
    ... reflects what our members are doing and others
    ...
    [16]http://opengardensblog.futuretext.com/archives/2008/07/omtp_bond
    i_a_de_1.html

      [16] http://opengardensblog.futuretext.com/archives/2008/07/ 
omtp_bondi_a_de_1.html

    <marcos_> [17]http://www.omtp.org/bondi/

      [17] http://www.omtp.org/bondi/

    NA: we see lots of fragmented APIs and weak security
    ... "BONDI" it is mainly a marketing term
    ... but its about app security and secure APIs
    ... we are focused on reqs but specs are needed
    ... want to work with W3C regarding the specs
    ... i.e. want W3C's specs to address our reqs if possible
    ... we will publish draft docs in the middle of next week
    ... we have two WGs Interfaces and Architecute + Security
    ... interfaces in this context means JavaScript
    ... we realize the interfaces must be based on good security model
    ... e.g. policy management and delegating authority
    ... also expect the "package" to have a clear identity
    ... we think our interests align well with the WebApps WG
    ... there could be other WGs of interest e.g. Geolocation WG
    ... any questions?

    AB: thanks for that intro
    ... I'm a bit concerned about the IPR commitments from OMTP inputs
    ... especially since some members of OMTP are not members of the W3C

    NA: we are working on a concrete proposal on how to deal with this
    issue

    AB: please include me in any related discussions with the W3C staff

    NA: will do

Widget Requirments Last Call

    AB: comment period ends on August 1
    ... will that meet your timeframe Nick?

    NA: yes

    DR: we will submit comments by the deadline

    Benoit: when is the "real" deadline

    MC: I can handle some late feedback but don't want to extend the
    deadline too far

    AB: I can send a reminder to the WGs

    MC: I'm OK with extending the period one week if necessary

    <scribe> ACTION: barstow send a reminder to all of the WGs we asked
    to do a review [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-wam-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-19 - Send a reminder to all of the WGs we
    asked to do a review [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-08-07].

    Benoit: we want to use the f2f to finalize the P&C spec, right?

    MC: yes, that's the plan

    Bryan: what level of comments are you expecting?
    ... thoughts and questions or detailed requiements?

    MC: comments at all levels are welcome

    Bryan: I am working with the MWBP WG to consolidate their reqs

    MC: great

    AB: the LC doc is:
    [19]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-widgets-reqs-20080625
    ... where do we stand on Cynthia's comment?

      [19] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-widgets-reqs-20080625

    MC: she is asking about the relationship to the WAI Content
    Guidelines
    ... I agree we need a proper reference
    ... and I can add it
    ... here is my response
    [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/02
    95.html

      [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008JulSep/0295.html

    AB: any objections to the proposal I submitted?

    [None]

    MC: I will update the doc accordingly

    AB: what about Benoit's comments?
    ... I haven't read them yet

    Benoit: and I haven't read Marcos response

    AB: then let's follow up on the mail list
    ... what about Krzysztof's comments?

    MC: I am working on a response
    ... some of the major things he raises are why we don't use MIME for
    the packaging format
    ... also raises issues related to the AWWW and file extensions

    AB: should we try to invite him to an interactive chat/IRC session?

    MC: good idea

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow work with Marcos to set up an IRC/chat
    session with Krzysztof [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-wam-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-20 - Work with Marcos to set up an
    IRC/chat session with Krzysztof [on Arthur Barstow - due
    2008-08-07].

Widget State Change Events

    Benoit: want to be able to programtically change the Widgets' state
    ... e.g. programatically change Widget from "docked" to "not docked"

    MC: OK, I understand

R15 and R16

    Benoit: regarding R15
    [22]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-widgets-reqs-20080625/#r15.-

      [22] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-widgets-reqs-20080625/#r15.-

    MC: I see what you mean

    AB: I agree R15 should be MUST

    BS: <clarifies his comments on Proxies>

    MC: I've clarified that text

    Bryan: I will send a comment re the platform proxy
    ... by default, a platform proxy may be essential e.g. within an
    enterprise domain
    ... should leverage the platform proxy if one is defined

    MC: what about a per-widget proxy

    Bryan: that could be useful

    MC: any other comments on the proxy issue?

    [None]

    AB: any other feedback Benoit on Marcos' response to you?

    Benoit: nothing jumps out yet; I'll read later but in general Marcos
    has done good work
    ... when do you expect to complete the review Marcos?

    MC: hopefully by the end of next week
    ... if we get new reqs that could slow things

    Benoit: what's the next step?

    AB: the next phase in Candidate
    ... it can sit in Candidate state for 3-4 weeks or several months;
    we can decide later

    Benoit: is the plan for P&C spec to go to LC in October still
    current?

    MC: I'd feel better if we did not go to LC until there is at least a
    quick-and-dirty implementation

    Arve: a problem with implementing before LC is that the proto tends
    to stick
    ... I recommend not implementing until after LC

Turing f2f Attendance

    MC: yes

    Arve: YES

    <Benoit> yes

    Nick and David: yes

    Bryan: no

    Claudio and Luca: yes

    Art: yes

    Mark: not sure; hope to though
    ... If I can't make it then somone else from VF should be able to
    attend

    AB: meeting closed

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: barstow send a reminder to all of the WGs we asked to
    do a review [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-wam-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow work with Marcos to set up an IRC/chat session
    with Krzysztof [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-wam-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 31 July 2008 12:15:13 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:49:27 GMT