Re: XDomainRequest Integration with AC

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:35:55 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "annevk@opera.com" <annevk@opera.com>, Sharath Udupa <Sharath.Udupa@microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>, Gideon Cohn <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team <ieajax@microsoft.com>

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Hmm.. I'm confused. From your and Maciejs answer it sounds like the
> algorithm doesn't specify what is valid, but what is parsed? What is the
> difference? What a 'AC header validator' would complain about?

The difference is the same as with the parsing. This is invalid:

...but still has a defined parsing behaviour.

Well similarly, "http://x/y<z" is invalid, but still has a defined parsing
behaviour.

> If so, that doesn't really buy much as far as forwards compatibility
> goes. We have to be backwards compatible with what UAs accept, not what
> validators accept.

Right, the parsing behaviour defines what UAs accept, as far as I can
tell.

> However doing something like what Maciej suggests, of stopping the url
> parser at the first whitespace character, sounds like it would solve the
> forwards compat issue.

Agreed.

> However, if the HTML5 algorithm only considers the same URLs valid as
> RFC 3986 does, is there a reason not to point directly to RFC 3986
> instead? Seems like there is no reason to have more relaxed error
> handling here than needed?

As you said, we have to be backwards compatible with what UAs accept, not
what validators (and RFCs) accept.