Accessibility requirement

From: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:50:06 -0700
To: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>

Hi,
I'm a member of wai-pf and wcag, and met some of you at the web apps face to face in redmond recently.  I was reading through the widgets 1.0 requirements spec, and came across this accessibility requirement.  Wondering why only should and may here, and not must?

R37. Language Accessibility

A conforming specification must specify that the language used to declare the user interface of a widget be either HTML<http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-reqs/#html> or a language that is accessible at various levels: it should provide keyboard access to interactive graphical elements, and provide means to access the widget's functionality through an non-graphical UI. The declared interface may also be accessible to screen readers, allowing relevant sections of text and functionality to be accessed by non-visual means.

Also, I noticed references to google and yahoo web gadgets documentation, and wondered if you'd seen the Windows Live Gadgets SDK [1]?

Thanks,
Cynthia
[1] http://dev.live.com/gadgets/sdk/docs/resources.htm