Re: [selectors-api] Why null as opposed to empty string (or either one) to resolve default namespace

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:03:21 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> The editor's draft changes the spec to require passing null instead of
> "" to resolve the default namespace.  I was just wondering why (it's a
> bit more of a pain to implement for me, and doesn't seem like a useful
> change, but maybe there's a reason I'm missing.

This was changed to be compatible with Node.lookupNamespaceURI(), which
requires null to be passed to get the default namespace.  I'm not sure
what to do about this yet, I'll have to get back to you.

I'm in the process of reviewing all the previous discussions about
NSResolver, trying to determine whether or not this really is the most
suitable approach.  However, this implementation experience is still
helping a lot in evaluating all of this.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/