[selectors-api] Why does the default namespace have to be resolved?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:15:35 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org

Section 6.1 of the editor's draft says:

   If the implementation does support resolving namespaces, then the
   implementation must use the nsresolver to get the default namespace
   for the group of selectors. If the group of selectors include
   namespace prefixes that need to be resolved, the implementation
   must also use it to resolve those prefixes.

I don't understand why we have the requirement in this form.  If the
selector string is, say "*|*" there is no need to resolve a default
namespace prefix, and I don't think the implementation should be
required to resolve it in that situation.

-Boris