Re: ISSUE-38: DOM 3 Events abort/error bubble, ProgressEvent abort/error do not [Progress Events]

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:07:03 +0700
To: olli@pettay.fi
Cc: Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 08:51 +0300, Olli Pettay wrote:
> > First, is formally/practically possible to have two separate events
> > with the same name but different bubbles/cancelable flags?
> Why not? Anyone can anyway use initXXXEvent to create whatever events
> with any possible combination of bubbles and cancelable flags.

Good point.

> > I am not
> > aware of any other such cases so it is reasonable to think that there
> > will be implementation problems because the event name can no longer
> > be uniquely mapped to bubbles/cancelable without taking some other
> > information into account.
> Because initXXXEvent allows all the combinations, implementations should
> be able to support event names with any event type and flags.

Sure, but when creating known types it can no longer be assumed that an
event type maps to a single set of bubbles/cancelable flags, which was
always the case until now. This may only be an implementation issue, but
if other implementors also see this as a nuisance it might be worth
changing.

> Unfortunately XHR has had 'error' for ages. Of course we could add
> yet another event, but that is a bit ugly.

I tried to find some documentation on this but failed. Would anyone
happen to know which browsers implement this and if that event bubbles?

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Opera Software