Re: [SelectorsAPI] Selector detection needed?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:44:31 +0200
To: "Nicholas C. Zakas" <html@nczonline.net>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

Original thread began on www-style and moved to public-webapi. Now
moving to public-webapps.  For reference, see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/thread.html#msg113
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2008Apr/thread.html#msg57

Nicholas C. Zakas wrote:
> Since different browsers support different CSS selectors, it seems
> necessary to provide a way to indicate which selectors can actually
> be used by querySelector() and querySelectorAll(). Something along
> the lines of supportsSelector() that returns true if a certain type
> of selector is available and false if not, perhaps? Just to throw
> something out for a debate:

Due to the lack of compelling use cases provided in this thread and
failure to come up with a reasonable solution that actually solves any
real problems, I have decided not to include such a feature in the spec
at this time.

If in the future, based on experience with the current API, we discover
use cases that would benefit from such a proposal, then we can certainly
revisit it then and find an appropriate solution.

Please let me know whether or not you are satisfied with this response.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/