Re: Behavior of querySelector/querySelectorAll with |div and *|div

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 22:34:59 -0400
To: Sam Weinig <weinig@apple.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org >> \"public-webapps@w3.org\"" <public-webapps@w3.org>

Sam Weinig wrote:
> I don't think it is clear in the Selectors API spec what the behavior
> should be when calling querySelector or querySelectorAll with a selector
> string that contains selectors like "|div" or "*|div" in the case of an
> implementation that does not support the NSResolver part.

It seems pretty clear to me in terms of the namespace lookups that need (or
rather don't need to happen).  It would seem to me that since neither of those
cases needs a namespace lookup, it should just work.  "*|div" should act like
"div", while "|div" should select elements in the null namespace with the
localName "div".

On the other hand, "x|div" should throw NAMESPACE_ERR if there is no NSResolver.

-Boris