Re: [widgets] ETags and Automatic updates

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:17 PM, mike amundsen <mca@amundsen.com> wrote:
> Marcos:
>
> <snip>
>> I'm sure it could be done. But how can this be done easily with Apache or IIS?
> </snip>
>
> Since Apache and IIS are HTTP servers, you can use the HTTP Headers to
> send hash data. Using the ETag is the most common, but if you like,
> you can propose a new HTTP Header ("X-Widget-Hash").

I know I should be able to do to send HTTP headers, but the question
is still *how*? I mean, for Apache, do I modify the .htaccess file? if
so, what do I put in there? If I can get a web server to send a custom
ETag or Widget-Hash easily enough, then the solution is doable so long
as its also easy to replicate in IIS and on any other web server.

FWIW, if it comes down to having to introduce a custom HTTP header,
then I definitely think we should dump this solution.

> Possibly the question is, when *not* using an HTTP server, what's the
> best way to deliver the version hash data?

You don't need the hash. The widget engine compares the version and id
attributes of the <widget> element (inside config.xml) for equality.
If they are different, the user is asked if they want to install the
new version.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au