Re: Worker Threads and Site Security Policy | Two Possible New Items for Standardization

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:53:36 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: arun@mozilla.com, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, aa@google.com, Ben Turner <bturner@mozilla.com>, Johnny Stenback <jst@mozilla.com>, Jonas Sicking <sicking@mozilla.com>, Brandon Sterne <bsterne@mozilla.com>, chaals@opera.com, chris.wilson@microsoft.com, public-webapps@w3.org, schepers@w3.org, tlr@w3.org, dveditz@mozilla.com

>> I'd really rather not add more stuff to HTML5, it's too big as it is.
>> Ideally worker threads is something that we can nail down in a pretty
>> short period of time, before HTML5 is out (targeted a few years into
>> the future iirc).
>>
>> Like you say, some features from HTML5 should be exposed in the
>> context of worker threads. I don't really know how to handle that, but
>> I can see two ways:
>>
>> 1. Make a informative note stating a list of features that we expect
>> will be made available once there is a finished spec for them, but
>> leave it up to the HTML5 spec to actually explicitly make this
>> requirement.
>>
>> 2. Have a normative requirement that implementations that also support
>> feature X from HTML5, makes that implementation available to the
>> worker thread as well.
>
> I am ok with the spec either being in HTML5 or standalone, but we have
> to realize that if it is a separate spec, it will have dependencies on
> HTML5. For XMLHttpRequest this has turned out to be controversial, so we
> should make this clear up front.

Agreed. I think we need to find a solution for this dependency both for
XHR and for threads, and probably for other specs in the future.

I listed two proposals above that might work for the threads spec.

/ Jonas