Re: Process Re: Worker Threads and Site Security Policy

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I note that in the geolocation discussion Ian has been quite vocal about
> this being the home for APIs, but in respect to the Window spec he has
> simply taken it into HTML5, although that won't be stable for many years
> according to him. So clearly the question of where things live is not
> always one with an obvious answer.

FWIW the difference is mostly one of practicality and how independent the
bits are. XHR for example has many dependencies on HTML5 but is still
fundamentally its own thing. Geolocation is almost completely independent
from HTML5, the only relationship so far seems to be the integration
point. Window, on the other hand, is very deeply involved with many
aspects of HTML5 -- it forms the core of DOM Level 0, which HTML5
basically subsumes. (Window also did not have an active editor, whereas
both the Geolocation work and XHR do.)

There are a number of things in HTML5 that should be split out into Web
Apps specs (e.g. much of the stuff in HTML5's "Web browsers" section), as
well as a number of specs that aren't anywhere right now (e.g. Web DOM
Core, updates to Traversal/Range, 3D Canvas context).

Personally I'd be fine with the Web Apps and HTML5 groups being merged,
but that's unlikely to happen. :-)

Regarding worker threads, it would be nice if it was a separate
specification. I think it's likely to need tighter integration with HTML5
than even XHR has, though, which may make people unhappy. I'm happy to
volunteer to edit this either way. (There would be less overhead to just
having it in HTML5 for me.)