Re: Opting in to cookies - proposal

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:33:27 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-webapps@w3.org

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> First of all I'm unconvinced that this will happen in reality. Can you
> explain a usecase when a site would want to go from changing from public
> data to private data, without changing anything else? And is this common
> enough that we need to cater to it?

A search engine could provide search engine results through an XHR2 API,
and then later develop a "Personalised Search Results"-type feature, for
which the search engine needs a cookie. It would be cool if all users of
this API were automatically updated to the personalised results.

I could imagine that if Google were deploying Personalised Search Results
after already providing an XHR2 UI, that we'd have wanted to do this. I
wouldn't want us to make it harder for, say, Yahoo! Search or Live Search
to begin deploying personalised search later if they want to.