Re: responseXML/responseText exceptions and parseError

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:13:18 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team <ieajax@microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Zhenbin Xu wrote:
>> [Zhenbin Xu] Regardless what different browser does today, rich parsing
>> error is an important feature for developers. I have found it can
>> pinpoint the exact problem that otherwise would have been difficult to
>> identify when I sent incorrectly constructed XML file.
>
> Mozilla shows the XML error in its error console, which seem more useful
> than exposing the error to script, really. (I expect other browsers do the
> same but I haven't checked as recently.)

That's useful, but IMHO not nearly as useful as giving the script code
the ability to access the information. Sometimes errors happens in the
absence of the developer, and it's useful to have an easy and
automatable way to get the diagnostics.

BR, Julian