RE: <Further LC Followup from IE> RE: Potential bugs identified in XHR LC Test Suite

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Zhenbin Xu wrote:

> In the case there isn't clear technical differences, I don't think we
> should pick the right solution based on implementer's cost. Rather We
> should base it on customer impact. A bank with 6000 applications built
> on top of IE's current APIs simply would not be happy if some
> applications cannot run due to changes in some underlying object model.
> And this is not IE's problem alone since the bank simply cannot upgrade
> or change the browser, if all other browsers result in the same
> breakage.

For non-Web HTML pages like in this example, solutions like IE's "IE7
mode" are fine. IMHO we should be concentrating on pages on the Web, not
on browser-specific pages -- interoperability isn't relevant when the
page isn't intended to run on multiple browsers.