Re: ISSUE-4 (SpecContent): Should specifications decide what counts as content for transfer? [Progress Events]

Web Applications Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> ISSUE-4 (SpecContent): Should specifications decide what counts as content for transfer? [Progress Events]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/
>
> Raised by: Charles McCathieNevile
> On product: Progress Events
>
> Currently the spec says that the bytes counted for total/loaded are
> exclusive of headers and other such traffic overheads. Does it make
> more sense to require that specifications decide this question? This
> is reopening Issue 108 from the webapi tracker:
> http://www.w3.org/2006/webapi/track/issues/108 - because I think it
> makes more sense to clarify a common practice, and then tell specs
> that they have to define this in order to conform.

It makes no sense to me to for HTTP say that the total number of bytes
should include HTTP headers. It would be similar to including the TCP
headers in the IP packets IMHO.

However, ideally the spec should be protocol agnostic. But it might be a
good idea to mention how HTTP (and possibly FTP) should be handled since
that's likely the vastly most common case.

/ Jonas