Re: [XHR] (Late) LC Comments

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:16:50 +0100
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On 12 Jun 2008, at 13:55, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> I think it would be better if HTTP defined what clients should
>> assume (200 and OK most likely) in case the response data does not
>> include it. Your HTTP parsing specification could do this for
>> instance.
>
> In HTTP/1.*, the status code is what the response says, and the
> status text is purely decorative. If it's not there, it's not there.
> Claiming it was "OK" would be misleading.

Still, throwing INVALID_STATUS_ERR seems to defy logic, and current
implementations.

> WRT earlier HTTP versions: how would care?

s/how/who/, I assume?

There's still (amazingly) a number of servers that do still have HTTP/
0.9 behaviour, and support _is_ still needed. The behaviour
everywhere, as far as I can tell, it to just return 200/OK.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>