Re: LC comments.

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:53:02 +0200
To: "Yves Lafon" <ylafon@w3.org>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org

Note: confusingly enough our mailing list changed names. I cc'ed the new

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 17:45:11 +0200, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
> General tone of the spec seems targeted at implementors, rather than
> authors.
> It would be more readable to have one part dedicated to users, and one
> part dedicated to implementors.

The WG might issue a primer document aimed at authors at some later stage.

> <<<
> If stored method case-insensitively matches CONNECT, DELETE, GET, HEAD,
> OPTIONS POST, PUT, TRACE, or TRACK let stored method be the canonical
> uppercase form of the matched method name.
> TRACK ??? Where is the reference to that?

Just see it as a magical string the user agent has to reject. A note has
been added to clarify why it is mentioned:

> <<
> 14: If the user argument was not omitted and is not null let stored user
> be user encoded using the encoding specified in the relevant
> authentication scheme or UTF-8 if the scheme fails to specify an
> encoding.
> [...]
> So UTF8 is not the encoding of choice, there.

UTF-8 was a final fallback. Anyway, this has been removed leaving it up to
the authentication schemes to define this properly.

> <<
> For security reasons, these steps should be terminated if the header
> argument case-insensitively matches one of the following headers:
>      * Accept-Charset
>      * Accept-Encoding
>      * Connection
>      * Content-Length
>      * Content-Transfer-Encoding
>      * Date
>      * Expect
>      * Host
>      * Keep-Alive
>      * Referer
>      * TE
>      * Trailer
>      * Transfer-Encoding
>      * Upgrade
>      * Via
> What is the rationale to add headers and not others ?

These are headers better controlled by user agents. All others can set by
the author. The specification is now more detailed on this:

> <<
> Also for security reasons, these steps should be terminated if the start
> of the header argument case-insensitively matches Proxy- or Sec-.
> It would forbid other spec to do something fancy with Proxy-* or Sec-*
> headers, why ?

This allows the introduction of headers in the future that can't be set by

> * in send()
> <<
> If the redirect does not violate security (it is same-origin for
> instance) or infinite loop precautions and the scheme is supported
> transparently follow the redirect and go to the start of this step (step
> 8).
> HTTP places requirements on the user agent regarding the preservation of
> the request method and entity body during redirects, and also requires
> users to be notified of certain kinds of automatic redirections.
> Why not linking to those requirements ?

Because HTTP is to be fully read and understood anyway when implementing

> *
> <<
> In case of DNS errors, or other type of network errors, run the
> following set of steps. This does not include HTTP responses that
> indicate some type of error, such as HTTP status code 410.
> [...]
> Some request may be retried, like GET, especially if the targeted web
> site resolves in a set of IP addresses and some of them may be down. It
> is unclear that the implementation will try its best to process the
> request, by retrying when needed, or if it is forbidden.

In case it is not an error it should just do what HTTP specifies.

Anne van Kesteren