Re: Proposal to move WebApps' tests to github [Was: Re: Opera's SSE Tests on GitHub]

On 06/02/2013 23:50 , Kris Krueger wrote:
> HTML has moved though to be clear it has not provide a lot of new
> 'test submitters' which was the primary goal.

Well, to put this in perspective to the best of my knowledge we have had
zero external contributors in the five years since this group started;
and we had two in the month since the move. This without having yet
deployed any proper documentation or outreach. I reckon it's actually
looking tentatively good.

> The migration is not
> completed yet and we still have more infrastructure work to get done
> to get the HTML Test suite back to where it was 'pre-move'.

I beg to differ. As someone who actually has to work with the
repository, the situation we have is substantially better than pre-move.
For instance, we have processed more submissions backlog since the move
than ever before.

> * We don't have a mechanism in place yet to
> sync and publish content from github -> www.w3c-test.org

I'm sorry, but both branches are mirrored there:

     http://w3c-test.org/html-testsuite/

> * It's not clear how exactly this will work when you have a 'fork'

Do you mean when someone creates their own fork? Well, that just works.
I'm not sure what you mean.

> * php file submission/enabling needs to be completed

Actually, the pull request review process means that we can just review
whatever PHP code is added at submission time, and don't need the whole
ad hoc mechanics that hg required us to have in order to review PHP from
committers. So we're also already better off in this regard as well.

> One issue did come up which is something we have not had to deal with
> CVS/Hg on w3c sites is getting access blocked. See ->
> http://gigaom.com/2013/01/21/github-is-blocked-in-china/

That's actually not true: *.w3.org sites have been blocked in China
before. GH was blocked temporarily, and then unblocked, just like it
happened to us.