Re: CfC: test suite for Web Storage CR; deadline April 4

Hi Kris,

On 04/05/2012 07:23 AM, Kris Krueger wrote:
> Long ago Microsoft sent an email to the HTML5 list (thanks Adrian and
> Simon for the feedback) when IE implemented ‘web storage’ in IE8. The
> reason for the posts to the HTML5 list and the test submission was to
> help improve browser interoperability and test that the specification
> was clear enough to create multiple independent implementations.
>
> See ->
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jan/0359.html
>
> As this ‘feature’ moved from the HTML WG to WebApps WG a some tests
> were *lost*. To help browser interoperability and specification
> clarity Microsoft converted and submitted a few tests to help test
> assertions in the specification that are not covered in tests that
> exist today.
>
> See ->
> http://www.w3c-test.org/webapps/WebStorage/tests/submissions/Microsoft/storage.htm
>
>  If you have feedback on these tests please respond to the list, like
> in the past.

Thanks for letting us know about these tests. For this one in
particular, I'd like to note that the assertions in question are, in
fact, covered in tests that exist today (namely
<http://www.w3c-test.org/webapps/WebStorage/tests/submissions/Ms2ger/storage_local_getitem_js.html>
and
<http://www.w3c-test.org/webapps/WebStorage/tests/submissions/Ms2ger/storage_session_getitem_js.html>).

I would love to have a look at the other tests, but cannot find them at
the link Adrian provided (<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=110283>).

I did, however, find the claim that

> We are working closely with these two web standards organizations to
> submit these test cases officially within each working group’s
> official process.

and, happy to hear that, went to look for versions of these tests in our
HG repository. Unfortunately, it appears that at least for XHR, the File
API, and various parts of DOM4 (like getElementsByClassName,
NodeIterator/TreeWalker, firstElementChild and friends), those tests are
nowhere to be found. I am looking forward to seeing those tests
submitted. I am aware, of course, that time constraints might make it
impossible to submit them in the near future, but I would hope to find
at least a *pointer* to those tests in the repository, to prevent
wasting the time of other people who are trying to assess which tests
still need to be written.

Thanks again,
Ms2ger