On some existing work on compound documents

From: Michael Pediaditakis <mp49@kent.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:03:25 +0100
To: public-webapps-cdf-discuss@w3.org, jjc@jclark.com

Hello folks,

There doesn't seem to be too much traffic in the mailing list...
...but this seems quite relevant...

I've just noticed some existing work by James Clark
on compound document mainly focusing on validation..

In the workshop we mostly focused on how to present
compound documents but I think that for any processing
model for compound documents, the first step has to
be the syntax and validation integration.

So, there is the Namespace Routing Language (NRL)[1]
and the part 5 of the ISO's
Document Schema Definition Languages (DSDL)  Part 4:
Namespace-based Validation Dispatching Language  NVDL[2].

Both of them remind me of the approach taken with the XMLPipe
integration model I presented[3] (the integration model is
described very briefly... I'll publish something more
detailed soon... maybe in the form of my PhD :)

The main focus seems to be to separate a compound document
to separate subtrees of a single namespace and then validate
them separately... (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Are there any opinions on the importance of these approaches
for the processing of compound documents???

Thanks,
Michael Pediaditakis.

[1] http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/nrl.html
[2] http://www.dsdl.org/0525.pdf