Re: XHR LC comments

On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:49:52 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> That's understood. But what confuses me is the relation to XHR2 -- it
> seems that this WG is splitting time for work on two specs, where just
> working on XHR2 would be more useful.

It's not exactly splitting time as all the issues raised for 1 affect 2.
Maybe it will turn out that 1 is not needed anymore at some point, but for
now it seems useful to have.

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#same-origin

>>> But that totally depends on the authentication scheme. I think you're
>>> confusing layers here.
>>
>>  It does depend on that and that is mentioned.
>
> Are you referring to: "14. If the user argument was not omitted and is
> not null let stored user be user  encoded using the encoding specified
> in the relevant authentication scheme or UTF-8 if the scheme fails to
> specify an encoding."?
>
> This has two problems:
>
> - it makes "stored used" an octet sequence, not a string.

What is the problem?

> - it simply doesn't work in practice, for instance for Basic
> Authentication

You're not really helping finding the right solution here. This was added
for basic authentication if I remember correctly as it does not specify
any encoding.

>>> How is this relevant for demonstrating the output format for
>>> getAllResponseHeaders()?
>>
>>  It's relevant in case people copy the example, which I expect to
>> happen. In case they do that and the example would've used synchronous
>> code they end up with UI-lockup et cetera, which would be bad.
>
> Well, we continue to disagree on this point.
>
> The goal for examples should be to illustrate a specific feature, not to
> promote a specific coding practice (at least not when doing the latter
> affects the readability).

I don't think it affects readability that much.