Re: setRequestHeader / Accept

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 08:06:22 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, public-webapi@w3.org

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Treating null as empty string here may be sensible (no strong opinion
> either way) but removing the header when set to empty seems wrong. If
> header removal is really essential we should add a method for it.

In HTTP, absence of a header is different from having an empty value.

I can understand the argument that set(..., null) is the wrong way to
remove a value. But if it doesn't, it shouldn't do anything that a
non-null argument would do.

So yes, an explicit way to remove an header would be good. Otherwise
we'll see broken requests on the wire (as just seen in the example I
cited a few days ago).

BR, Julian