Re: setRequestHeader / Accept

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 00:29:58 +0200
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Laurens Holst" <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, public-webapi@w3.org

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:40:48 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Agreed. We have in the past said that in the cases where it doesn't seem
> like the web is depending on a certain behavior one way or the other do
> what is most useful. I don't really think it matters much if null is
> treated as 'remove' or as 'do nothing', but appending 'null' seems
> pretty useless in pretty much all cases.

It's pretty common behavior for a lot of APIs though Firefox seems to do
it differently from everyone else quite often if I remember correctly.

> We shouldn't let what webidl says dictate what we do one way or the
> other. It's just a spec for the idl language, not a recommendation for
> how interfaces should behave.

null/undefined are not really part of the setRequestHeader() method. We
just need to deal with them somehow and doing what similar APIs do in such
cases makes sense.

> FWIW I think the webidl spec should be changed here, but i'll raise that
> in a thread for that spec.

I think it makes sense for Web IDL to specify the most common behavior as
default.