Re: XHR LC comments

Sunava Dutta wrote:
>>> setRequestHeader() currently simply is broken. We should deprecate it,
>>> and add new methods with well-defined semantics:
>>>
>>> - removeHeader(...) (or specify set with null to mean remove)
>>> - addHeader...
>>> - getHeader...
>> "Deprecating" a method does not help implementations converge. Besides,
>> for typical usage there's no issue in using this header at all.
>>
> [Sunava Dutta] I agree with Anne here. Deprecating an existing
> implementations and re-engineering XHR is something we just cannot
> accept. This spec should be designed to reflect reality and seek
> interoperability for each and every single section/method/event with
> at least one (I think the W3C mandates two?) existing implementations.
> That does not mean the entire spec is aligned with FF or IE, but it
> should be harmonious at any instance with one existing implementation.

There is absolutely no W3C mandate that a spec is compatible with any
existing implementations in order to reach the earlier milestones in the
standardization track. Not sure where you got that idea. It would be
very strange if there was a requirement to have implementations in order
to reach LC, when W3C is discouraging implementations at that stage.

Also, I personally don't care at all which UAs the various features of
spec is compatible with. Or if it's not compatible with any UA. What I
care about is that the spec is compatible with the web, and in the cases
where the web doesn't care, that it's as useful and simple as possible.

/ Jonas