Re: XHR LC comments

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:44:02 -0500
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> No, I was simply trying to say XHR should not generate output it cannot
> parse itself.

I'm not sure I see why not, to be honest.  But I can accept that this might be a
desirable design principle in some circumstances.

> DOM Level 3 Core Appendix B.1 should define how to fix the tree.

Indeed.  Might be worth referencing it normatively here.

> You picked a document
> that cannot exist when building it directly from a plain text document,
> so that this does not very strictly speaking roundtrip does not seem an
> issue to me.

Agreed; I was just pointing it out because it can easily cause developer
confusion and non-interoperable results, as demonstrated.

-Boris