Re: [XHR] referencing HTML5

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:44:31 +0100
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
> >
> > If yes, then XHR can't be published earlier. If no, let's rephrase stuff

> > so that HTML5 isn't required.
>
> No, this isn't accurate. We can publish XHR whenever we like. The only
> thing that would stop us is blind obediance to process.

Conversely, completely ignoring the process is not an option either.  I
don't think that's what you're suggesting, though.

> In practice [having XHR depend on HTML5] is unlikely to be an issue since
> the goal is to get interoperable implementations, not a slavish drive to
> REC, and thus waiting for years at CR stage is not a problem.

I agree with that.  CSS2.1 has been at CR stage, gone back to WD for a few
years, and back to CR again.

I suspect that it will be a very long time before HTML5 is "complete".

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer