Re: XHR LC comments

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 01:53:18 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> That's true. But it's not what the XHR spec requires:
>>
>> "Serialize data into a namespace well-formed XML document and encoded
>> using the encoding given by data.inputEncoding, when not null, or UTF-8
>> otherwise. Or, if this fails because the Document cannot be serialized
>> act as if data  is null." --
>> <http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/#send>
>>
>> So the spec requires silent data loss here, which I think is an
>> extremely bad idea.
>
>Agreed.  I think the spec needs changing to allow this use case, personally...

Being able to send wf-but-ns-illformed documents would not make much
sense if you couldn't also read them back in, and the odds that some
wf-but-ns-illformed has been created deliberately for use with XHR
as opposed to being created due to some mistake, seem too low to make
supporting this worthwhile.