Re: XHR LC comments

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > The problem is that concepts such "origin" and determining the
> > encoding of a text/html stream are not defined anywhere else. It's not
> > really clear to me what to do about that.
>
> In some cases, it may be possible to copy the current definition. In
> other cases, it may be possible just not to depend on it (for instance,
> by not specifying encoding sniffing).

I don't have an opinion on the exact issue here, but as a general rule I
recommend against making decisions based on the political status (rather
than technical status) of working groups and specs. Otherwise we just end
up reinforcing the Web's experiment with Conway's Law. That is to say, we
should rather change the rules that prevent us from doing the right thing,
than blindly follow those rules and change our technology to match.