Re: [XMLHttpRequest] LC-20080415 comment

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:02:19 +0200
To: "Stewart Brodie" <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Cc: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:08:37 +0200, Stewart Brodie
<stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
> In the last paragraph on send(data) (i.e. just above the start of the bit
> about the abort() method), there is a statement (which is missing the
> word "header" at the end, but that's not the point I wish to raise)  :
>
>   "it MUST NOT automatically set the Accept."
>
> I think that this is a bad idea, because some servers fail to deliver
> resources in the absence of the Accept header where the resource has
> multiple variants available.  Some older versions of IIS are known to
> fail in this manner.  There may be others that I'm not aware of too,
> obviously.

I see. What you're stating seems also in line with browser behavior so I
have changed this to make Accept handling identical to that of
Accept-Language. Unless it is specified through setRequestHeader() the
user agent should provide it.

   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/

> [...]

I have not followed your request of requiring a particular value as that
does not seem in line with implementations and seems needlessly
restrictive. I hope that's ok.