Re: specification of "legacy" key events

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> We have had requests to fire some kind of identifiable event when typing
> occurs during IME processing for use cases like the following:
>
> 1) To resize an area based on user typing, even during IME entry (yes, this
> works right, the text is in the text field even when unconfirmed..
> 2) To have special keyboard shortcuts work in a text field even during IME
> entry.

Indeed, we (Google) would very much like our scripts to be notified of
what's going on, keyboard-wise, during IME. In particular when the user is
working with a contentEditable section we really need to have access to
these events so that, for example, we can, if the user so desires, cancel
them and provide our own IME implementation (which might hook into
user-specific information that the UA might not be able to provide).