Re: File IO...

From: Timur Mehrvarz <timur.mehrvarz@web.de>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:47:21 +0200
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Scott Shattuck <idearat@mindspring.com>

On 7. May 2008, at 20:23, Scott Shattuck wrote:

> Clearly if all i want is scratch area I don't need file system
> access. But there are use cases for integrating a browser-based
> application with the host operating system that can't be addressed
> in that fashion. It's naive to imagine that these use cases won't
> continue to create pressure to expand the capability of the browser
> as a "VM" until it is on a par with, say, the JVM, in terms of what
> it can do when properly authenticated.

Exactly. But how long will it take to get there? You know, there is
this really cool new Java bridge (6u10/plugin2), that allows seamless
integration of scriptable Java code in any Web application. And there
is this almost endless list of available extensions.. File IO, Socket
API, XHR with event-based parsing and no-same-host, mpeg, MIDI,
Address-book, PIM, SMTP/POP3/IMAP, Bluetooth, Zeroconf, Sensor API's
and what-have-you other JSR's, all of it available today. Does it
really make sense to basically replicate this into browsers? Why not
use the browser for what it is good at (portable presentation, UI)
and embrace that GPLed JVM for all device and security related needs?

Timur

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ea/6u10/plugin2/index.jsp