Re: [selectors-api] Extended Attribute [NoNull] in the IDL

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 13:05:47 +1000
To: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Cameron McCormack:
>> If there’s a need for null to stringify to "", then I can add another
>> extended attribute to Web IDL.

Maciej Stachowiak:
> It needs to for many standard DOM methods. Most core DOM methods that
> take namespaces treat a null namespaceURI or prefix parameter the same
> as the empty string, not the same as the string "null".

I think of it more like that null is the actual namespace URI value, and
that an empty string is the non-standard way of specifying it (rather
than the other way around).  Which makes me think of this more as
something the method should handle, rather than something the bindings
worry about.

> As mentioned, I advise looking at WebKit's IDL files since we have
> represented most of the weird cases there. I think the empty string
> conversion may actually be somewhat more common in DOM APIs, although
> it is not the native ECMAScript string conversion behavior.

Will do.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/