Re: [Element Traversal LC] access to element by index

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:27:37 +0100
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Daniel Glazman wrote:
>> Being devil's advocate for a sec, having a :scope pseudo-class or some
>> such would help here, right?
>>   myFooElement.querySelector(":scope > :nth-child(3)")
>That would require an addition to the Selectors spec and that comes
>too late in the process of that spec. I would recommend changing
>the Selectors API on document.querySelector and
>document.querySelectorAll to allow a second argument being a node or
>null. If it's a node, then the results simulate your :scope > SELEC
>above, the scope being that node and SEL being the selector passed as
>the 1st argument. If it's null, well, it does what it does today.

It would be easier to define that, if the argument starts with a non-
white space combinator, it is prefixed with a selector that selects the
element node it is called on and only that node. That would give you

We could also standardize the popular .getChildrenByTagName() method,
that would give the similar

Either would be preferable over

  myFooElement.querySelector(":nth-child(3)", null, myFooElement)

As your proposal would have it.