Re: [Element Traversal LC] access to element by index

Doug Schepers wrote:
> After some discussion in the same thread, I then put the direct question
> to the list as to whether or not to include a nodeList [2], and the only
> reply I got was from Maciej, in support of removing it. [3]

Ah, I think I missed the question.  :(

> This was last April, and the spec has not changed appreciably since
> then, so I assumed the issue was closed, and that you appreciated the
> design goal.

I think I just sort of gave up on the point, since the design goals here
(simplicity in UAs that implement NodeList and simplicity in UAs that do
not) seemed fundamentally incompatible and since I had no proposal to
resolve said incompatibility.

I suspect Gecko is likely to implement this with a "hidden" nodelist
anyway, and just have extra code to convert the accesses to this API
into access to this nodelist....  But I haven't thought much about the
various ways that we could reduce the complexity of having yet another
way to do the same thing, to be honest.

All of which is to say that I understand why you made the decision you
did, if I assume your priorities.  It just makes me a little sad that
there were no better options at this point, and that the net effect is
significantly more work in perpetuity for UAs that support more of the
DOM....

-Boris