Re: [selectors-api] NSResolver moving nodes between documents

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:57:29 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>What is the correct behavior if a lookupNamespaceURI call moves nodes
>between documents?  In particular, what is the correct behavior is the
>Element node the call is being made on is moved to a different document
>during the lookupNamespaceURI call (using adoptNode)?

Do I understand correctly that this is something scripts should not do?
I would be rather reluctant to define this so long as we don't also de-
fine when and how many times the resolver is invoked, since depending on
that, the results would not necessarily become more predictable.

>The spec should clearly specify what a UA is expected to do here.  My
>personal preference is that if the ownerDocument has changed the UA
>should throw an exception, since there is no way to return a "correct"
>result at that point.

Would it be acceptable to include a general provision to the effect that
if an implementation detects that resolvers manipulate documents in some
undesirable way, they may throw an exception?