Re: DOM3 Events Telcon Minutes, 27 Feb 2008

From: Travis Leithead <travil@windows.microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:25:58 -0700
To: "public-webapi@w3.org" <public-webapi@w3.org>

> The reason we needed a new event is that mousewheel is not dispatched for
> anything but vertical scrolling and that authors are expecting it to be
> dispatched for vertical scrolling only.

I don't think it is wise to complicate the API to cater to developers that don't handle horizontal scrolling in their web app. I prefer an easier-to-manage and simpler approach for the long term.

For existing apps, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to short-circuit the mousewheel event handlers to check for a non-zero wheelDelta before continuing with the code.