Re: [Element Traversal LC] Editorial: "attribute" at ECMAScript Language Binding

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:46:16 -0400
To: "KUROSAWA, Takeshi" <taken.spc@gmail.com>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org

Hi, Takeshi-

Thanks for your feedback.

KUROSAWA, Takeshi wrote (on 3/12/08 9:10 AM):

> Element Traversal Spec uses "attribute" word at ECMAScript Language Biding[1].
>
>> firstElementChild
>>    This read-only attribute is of type Element.
>
> But it is prefered to use "property" rather than "attribute" in
> ECMAScript world. Other DOM Specs use "property" at ECMAScript
> Language Binding (ex. DOM Level 1[2], ...).
> The biding should be something like below:
>
> firstElementChild
>     This read-only property is of type Element.
> childElementCount
>     This read-only property is of type Number.

Indeed, that is how I defined it before, modeling it on earlier DOM
specs.  I changed it in response to an earlier comment. [1]  I was
perhaps overzealous in my changes.

Since "property" is JS terminology, while "attribute" is IDL
terminology, I should in fact use both terms.  I'll correct this, thanks!

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Aug/0035.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI