Re: [selectors-api] Why no querySelector(All) on DocumentFragments?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:48:18 -0500
To: liorean <liorean@gmail.com>
CC: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

liorean wrote:
> Isn't this approach potentially much more resource intensive though?

Not for the typical browser workload, which is to match a node to a whole bunch
of rules....  So I guess it depends on whether querySelector reuses the existing
selector matching code.

> The Selectors spec doesn't really deal with the DOM though.

But it does.  It's all in terms of a tree and stuff..  The question is whether
the "tree" for a node is the tree rooted by its ownerDocument or the connected
tree containing the node.

I should note that interoperability for detached subtrees is pretty poor.  For
example, consider the following:

javascript:var n =

Webkit nightly returns null.  IE throws (no :root support).  Gecko prototype
implementation returns the span, since :root will match any node with no ancestors.

So I do think that the spec needs a lot more detail here...