Re: XHR setRequestHeader("connection", "close") is bogusly rejected

From: Kris Zyp <kzyp@sitepen.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:34:24 -0600
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Morgan L" <morganl.webkit@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, <public-webapi@w3.org>

> If the problem we are trying to solve is preventing potentially long-
> lived requests from blowing out the connection limit I think it would  be
> better to either:
>
> 1) Add an explicit XHR property that indicates this request may be
> long-lived - this would not only bypass the connection limit but would
> also indicate to the UA that it should not pipeline other requests on  the
> same connection, if it supports pipelining.
>
> 2) Never count XHR-initiated http requests towards the per-server
> connection limit.
> .... not seem necessary for the goal of bypassing the connection limit on
> the UA side. And it seems that an explicit XHR property for this would  be
> more clear.
I agree, I think #1 is the way to go. I don't like #2, because connection
limits really are valuable for minimizing server load, and even can help
prevent DOS attacks. As I just mentioned in the other email, "Connection:
close" is not an appropriate form of advice, IMO. I think that an explicit
property that provides advice for UAs is best approach, and that it should
be a number-based advice, not a boolean, so that it could be used more
effectively and flexibly in heuristic algorithms for making informed
pipelining decisions.
Kris