Re: Extra Connection Support Proposal

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:49:37 -0800
To: Kris Zyp <kzyp@sitepen.com>
Cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, public-webapi@w3.org

On Mar 6, 2008, at 7:09 AM, Kris Zyp wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up, Mark, I will be watching the activity
> there, that would be great if the problem can be dealt with in that
> group.
> However, the issues of responses being indefinitely queued in
> pipelining situations and unbounded memory growth on continuous
> streaming responses are still present, and I don't think there is
> anything the HTTP WG can do about that.

I think a hint that a request is expected to be long-term persistent
would be useful in any case, to let the user agent know that it
shouldn't pipeline other requests on the same connection. Perhaps this
can be a simple boolean, if http itself relaxes connection limits and
so removes the need for more complex functionality along these lines.

  - Maciej