Re: DOM based API

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:44:51 +0100
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: public-geolocation@w3.org, public-webapi@w3.org

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am interested in working on a specification of a DOM API that allows
>> Web pages to access the user's geolocation information (e.g. latitude
>> and longitude).
>
> I'm very glad to see somebody mention using the DOM API for this kind
> of information, right off the bat.  I'm a big believer in reuse, and
> feel that this API is an obvious candidate for reusing the DOM, i.e.
> providing a "Location" Javascript object that's also a DOM Document.

Thanks, I completely agree :)

> I note that you're at Google though, and that the Gears API doesn't
> reuse the DOM;
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/GeolocationAPI
>
> So I'm wondering if I've misunderstood you, or if Google has had a
> change of heart, or if you're perhaps not on the Gears team?

I am actually part of the Gears team and one of our main goals is to
contribute our ideas to standardization working groups, such as
WebAPI. Aaron Boodman (one of the Gears team TLs) has a very good blog
post on this issue:

http://gearsblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/gears-and-standards.html

All the best,
Andrei