Re: Dedicated Geolocation List and Channel

On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, Maciej-
>
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 6/3/08 1:53 PM):
>> At this point I am really confused about where to discuss
>> geolocation APIs, and I would rather not have it bounce back and
>> forth. Maybe we should just wait until the chartering process
>> reaches its conclusion.
>
> There's nothing to be confused about.  Regardless where the
> deliverable ends up, whether in the proposed Geolocation WG, or the
> WebApps WG, the *discussion list* will be the same:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/
> public-geolocation@w3.org

Well I'm pretty interested in coordinating with Google, Opera and
Mozilla on this and it seems like they were interested in keeping the
work and discussion here. It's true that you announced a new mailing
list but it doesn't seem like anyone here asked for it. If it's going
to be a mailing list for the WebApps WG, then maybe it would be good
for the WG to discuss whether we want a separate list.

> I would strongly encourage folks to join and start discussions now,
> rather than waiting.  A chartering period, with the review from W3C
> Management and the Advisory Committee, takes at least 6 weeks, and
> that doesn't include the time have preliminary discussions about it
> and to write the charter.  Hixie indicated that Google did not want
> to wait even 2 weeks, and I agree that keeping momentum is a high
> priority. Naturally, if Apple wants to wait until the chartering
> period is over, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't seem like a
> good use of time and energy.

Well, I wasn't that confused about where disucussion should go until
you asked everyone to move discussion to a new list, when folks seemed
happy to have it here.

> I sense that, for some reason, people are feeling territorial about
> this issue, and I'm not sure why.  Can you please articulate what
> your concerns about this happening in WebApps are, rather than in a
> dedicated WG?

I don't have any concerns about this being in WebApps. I think that
would be a great option.