Re: [selectors-api] Best practice in HTML wellformed documents

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:41:07 +0100
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org

* Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I have a personal preference for using well-formed XHTML for examples over
>HTML - it is easier for me to see where the element boudaries are, so the
>small price in verbosity gives greater clarity. It is also simpler to
>copy/paste into an XHTML *or* HTML document and have it work.
>
>As far as I know the group has never resolved a particular preference for
>terse HTML markup over XHTML. Does anyone think that the value of such a
>resolution would justify the debate it will entail?

This should ultimately be up to the editor; I should point out however
that the CSS Working Group received over a dozen complaints about the
HTML-but-not-XHTML examples in the CSS specifications, similarily, the
use of such markup in reports generated by the CSS Validator generated
many dozens of complaints in the past few years. That alone would be a
good enough reason to avoid them as far as I am concerned.