Re: Extra Connection Support Proposal

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:46:30 -0800
To: Kris Zyp <kris@sitepen.com>
CC: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Kris Zyp <kzyp@sitepen.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Kris Zyp wrote:
>>> you click on a link, does the link get followed?  That is the same
>>> sort of
>>> scenario, isn't it?
>> At least firefox will abort any existing downloads for the current
>> page when the user clicks a link. But if you're downloading these
>> images in another tab you might have this problem yeah. Though if it's
>> simply multiple images the new page will likely get squeezed in
>> between two of the image downloads.
> And there is an important distinction between images being downloaded
> that consume connections and a long-lived response that consume a
> connection. With normal responses, two connection usually provides a
> means for relatively continuous utilization of resources. Most of the
> time two connections provide enough requests that the usually the server
> is processing a request, or a response is downloading. Either way,
> something is being done, and it is quite reasonable for further requests
> to be queued, since the server/connection is working to finish the
> response as fast as possible within it's capability. On the otherhand,
> when a long-lived response is paused indefinitely until a the server has
> a message to be sent, there is nothing being done. Nothing is being
> downloaded, and the server isn't working on anything, and requests can
> be queued indefinitely even though nothing is happening.

Yup, it seems like people agree with this. It's just the proposal to put
it as a feature on XHR that seems to be disliked by a few people, me

Doing this on an HTTP level seems like the right solution to me. Though
i'm not sure what working group would then be appropriate for
standardizing it...

/ Jonas